It’s finally that time of year again: BBQ parties, roof deck dinners, and—soon enough—weekends lounging at the beach with our toes in the sand. In the spirit of this long-awaited seasonal rebirth, we’ve been testing out some brand new, party-ready recipes in the Grain-Free Love kitchen. And what spring or summer party is complete without a piping hot tray of crowd-pleasing, finger-lickin’ good buffalo wings?
Certainly not any party we would host. That’s why we gave this recipe multiple go-arounds before we settled on what we think is the best baked, flour-free buffalo wings recipe ever.
The secret to these wings comes down to the three Bs: butter, basting, and baking. We all know that butter makes everything better, and it turns out that’s especially true for buffalo wings. Who knew?
To make these delectable, extra spicy, crispy baked wings, season some chicken wings generously with garlic powder, salt, and cayenne pepper before popping them in the oven for 20 minutes. In the meantime, melt down some butter and mix it together with your favorite buffalo sauce (we love to use this scrumptious, gluten-free Moore’s Buffalo Wing Sauce). Once the chicken’s baking time is up, you’ll baste each wing individually in the butter-buffalo sauce before returning the wings to the oven for another 20 minutes.
And yep, you guessed it: Once the wings have baked for another 20 minutes, you’re going to baste them again. This time, you’ll use straight buffalo sauce to slather your wings with spicy goodness, before crisping them up for another 5 minutes in an extra hot oven.
The end result is a tray full of crispy, spicy wings. The butter crisps the skin to perfection, while the act of twice-bastings the wings infuses the chicken with that extra burst of buffalo flavor we all love so much. Enjoy! (And don’t forget the napkins…)
- 4 lbs. of chicken wings (about 25-30 wings)
- ⅓ cup butter
- 1½ cups buffalo sauce (we love this gluten-free Moore's Buffalo Wing Sauce)
- Garlic Powder
- Cayenne pepper
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- Line two baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Place chicken wings on the parchment paper, lining them up in rows. It's not a problem if they touch one another.
- Generously season the wings with salt, then garlic powder, and then with a sprinkle of cayenne pepper. I like to give each wing a good couple of shakes of the cayenne pepper, but I'm just crazy like that.
- Flip the wings over and season again, just as you did before.
- Place wings in the oven and bake for 20 minutes.
- While wings bake, make your buffalo mixture. Melt ⅓ cup butter and mix it together in a large bowl with 1 cup of buffalo sauce. Set aside.
- Once wings have baked for 20 minutes, remove them from the oven, but keep the oven temperature at 425 degrees.
- Let the wings cool slightly for a few minutes. Then, using tongs, take each wing separately and dip it into the bowl of buffalo/butter mixture, coating the chicken thoroughly. Return coated wing to the baking sheet. Repeat until all chicken wings are coated in the sauce.
- Set aside the leftover buffalo sauce—you'll be using this later!
- Return chicken to the oven and bake for another 20 minutes at 425 degrees.
- After the 20 minutes is up, remove the trays of chicken from the oven. Take the remaining buffalo sauce and add another ½ cup of buffalo sauce to it. Repeat the process from before, taking the wings out with tongs and dipping them into the mixture.
- Return dipped wings to the oven and bake for another 5 minutes, until skin is crispy.
- Serve immediately with your favorite wing accompaniments, and enjoy!
How’d you like this baked buffalo wings recipe? Let us know!