Ah, pancakes. Sweet, sweet pancakes. A mouthwateringly delicious loophole in the breakfast food paradigm, pancakes essentially allow us to eat dessert for breakfast. But they are, very sadly, not grain-free. Not grain-free at all.
The day Marc and I set out to make our first batch of paleo pancakes was like the first day of the rest of our lives. Seriously: This recipe totally changed our perspective on grain-free desserts, sweet breakfast foods, and all other batter-and-baking matters. A real life-changer.
These Golden Paleo Pancakes are crisp around the edges, fluffy inside, and so light on the tummy that you won’t have to succumb to the ole “I just ate pancakes so there goes my day!” routine. Ripe bananas give these pancakes their moist, smooth texture. A generous sprinkle of cinnamon and nutmeg adds some perfectly balanced spice, while the almond butter and eggs combine to create a deliciously fluffy pancake batter.
If you’re anything like us, you’re probably pretty skeptical about how tasty a grain-free pancake can really be. Before perfecting this recipe, we were straight-up non-believers, too. “Pancakes without flour?” we asked. “Is that even possible?” We surmised that while it might be possible, it definitely wouldn’t be good.
Au contraire. But please, don’t take it from me. Take a gander at the photos and then run to the kitchen to whip up your new favorite dessert…I mean, breakfast.
- 3 ripe bananas, mashed
- 3 eggs
- ½ cup almond butter
- 1 tsp. ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp. ground nutmeg
- 1 cup fresh strawberries, roughly pureed
- ¾ cup pure maple syrup
- 3 Tbs. butter, for topping
- Preheat an electric skillet to 300 degrees, or place a large stove-top skillet over medium-high heat.
- Combine bananas, eggs, almond butter, cinnamon, and nutmeg in a food processor. Pulse until smooth.
- Grease skillet with cooking spray and pour batter to make 4- to 5-inch pancakes.
- Let each side get nice and golden-brown before flipping, about 4 minutes per side.
- While pancakes are cooking, lightly mix together maple syrup and fresh strawberry puree in a medium-sized bowl.
- To serve, stack pancakes, top with butter slices, and smother with fresh strawberry maple syrup.
Let us know how you like these Golden Paleo Pancakes, and check back soon for these upcoming sweet, grain-free breakfast recipes: Perfect Paleo Blueberry Pancakes and Crispy, Fluffy Paleo Waffles. Yes, I said waffles. Get excited.